Saturday, April 21, 2012

Welcome! 21 Experiment

Welcome to the Evolving Easel! 

As the name would imply I wear many hats creatively, from children's books to serious sci-fi fantasy and many genres in between. It is my hope that this blog will serve as a hat rack for the stuff that comes out of my head. 

Here is the first item to share:
  
Trying a digital watercolor experiment on top of a scanned piece of watercolor paper... In other words I am procrastinating working on what I should be working on!



I started out with a ball point pen drawing from my sketch book. I scanned it in to the computer, and multiplied onto a scanned sheet of real watercolor paper which I had a wash on.


21 Experiment 

In Photoshop, I used the Lasso tool, rather than brushes, to select the shapes I wanted darker and darkened them, but I also played with the feather on the selections so that they would fade on certain edges. Then to get how the edge of a shape gets darker in some water color puddles, I'd 'contract' the selection a few pixels, then feather it, select inverse, and darken it in brightness/contrast so just the edge got darker.

I am constantly pushing myself to try new things - the curse
of artistic ADD. I really hope this blog will be the conference table for the creative voices in my head.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment